Road Reviews: Making Almond Milk
Recently I decided to watch Cowspirary, a documentary on how animal agriculture is detrimental to our planet. Did you know that animal agriculture is responsible for 18 percent of greenhouse gas emissions. More than the combined exhaust from all transportation combined? Yeah, neither did I! I highly reccomend watching the documentary, it's on Netflix.
After the documentary was over, I started reseaching the vegan way of living. Now I am not a vegan, nor am I a vegetarian, but I also don't eat a lot of meat. Over the years, I've cut it out of my diet, because its better for my health. That being said, I've discovered a whole new area of recipes to try! Some of the vegan meals I have found look so good and a plant based diet is good for you, especially since most people don't get enough vegetables in their diets.
Okay, back to the topic at hand: making almond milk! It's one of the easiest things to make and you really can't screw it up!
Here's what you will need:
- Equal parts almonds and water (I say equal parts, but add more or less water for consitency)
- Old piece of t-shirt or cheese cloth (make sure it's bigger than the strainer)
Here's how to make it:
- Soak the almond's over night in water
- Take the almonds and water and place them in the blender... then blend.
- Add in the vanilla and cinnamon and blend them into the almond mixture.
- Once the almond milk is frothy, take the bowl, place the strainer on top and place the t-shirt on the strainer.
- Pour the almond mixture on the t-shirt.
- Once some of the milk has gone into the bowl, grab the edges of the t-shirt and twist the top to that the meal inside doesn't come out. Then squeeze.
- Once that's done, I just threw out the t-shirt with the almond meal inside, but if you really wanted too, you could throw it into a bowl, mix some honey and spices and roast it to make homeade granola.
There you have it, so easy and so much better for you than store bought. Now you don't need to buy it, you can make it yourself because it takes no time.
Thanks for reading,